Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Changing Styles, From LA to NY.

I love the phases we all go through throughout our lives in regards to fashion. All of my friends laugh every time I tell them about my punker phase during 6th and 7th grade. And as much as I'd like to think I've gotten over that sort of flip-flopping between styles and actually picked what's most me, I'm realizing more and more that I'm kinda still that way. Maybe I always will be. :)

I adapt my style to whatever mood I'm in. If I'm going through a period of listening to Muse all of the time I might dress differently than if I'm in, say, a Bon Iver music phase. Right now I'm really into the classy, elegant type of look - long flowy skirts in nude colors, black with stunning and simple gold jewelry - all with a touch of young, trendiness still there though.

I love my cute new Oxford shoes and my straw hat with a black ribbon. It looks like it came straight from France (actually from the Upper East Side). I'm just really into trying to channel the look and feeling of elegant chicness, without having the designer brand budget to go get a lot of new things.

I feel like chic elegance is very fundamental in New York style. LA's style is so different than NY's. LA is much more about expressing your individuality boldly and about the whole "I just woke up from a crazy night yesterday and have bed hair and a worn-in T-shirt on" kind of bohemian, already broken-in type of look. (Odd description, I know, but I couldn't think of a better way to depict that thought. :D) Not all of LA's style is like that of course, but that's what I feel the general trend of Cali style is.

New York is much more chic and put together. It's bohemian too, but with a cleaner, girlier edge - less rockish and wild. And a lot of it I feel is based around simplicity. A cute girly dress with statement shoes and a bracelet looks well put together and ready to take on the big city. Now, of course, there are tonsssss of different styles, not all of them like that at all, but just in general I've noticed that NY is much more about the chicness and bold simplicity, even in casual looks like you'd find in Urban Outfitters.

So now I'm on to that phase. And in a way I kinda change a little every day. My closet is a hodgepodge of pieces that reflect a pretty wide range of styles. I'm definitely not one of those people that always buys clothing items that fit into the same general style. I'm all over the place.

I love the NY influence I'm getting and who knows what's next? We'll have to see what influences Europe brings to me. Oh boy! :p My ultimate goal is to end up having a world-rounded style, with little flares and accents coming out that reflect all the places I've lived and experienced.

For more on the differences between LA and NY style, check out this photo article from TeenVogue!


Love and Style,
L.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment