Sunday, October 9, 2011

Oatmeal and apparently looking Italian.

Ciao amici!

I'm writing today with two completely unrelated topics on my mind. The first is one that is now stuck in my mind and it's frustrating because I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it.

I have a craving for oatmeal.

This started back last week when my roommate and I were in the supermarket down the street and a fellow American from another study abroad program came up to me and asked if I knew the Italian word for oatmeal. I didn't but wished him luck and that was that. However, the thought of oatmeal stuck with me.

This has only been intensified by the fact that, for the past few days now, my boyfriend has been eating oatmeal during our Skype conversations. The way the time difference works out, we usually talk during my night/his morning. He has just woken up and is eating breakfast, and his breakfast for a while now has been oatmeal.

It sounds so good!!! But I don't know if they have it here! I was looking for a little bit in the store yesterday and didn't see anything and I definitely haven't seen it out and about anywhere else but I'm going to look up the word and actually go talk with someone next time. We'll see what happens there, but I sure do hope they have it somewhere in Rome! :)

Then the second experience on my mind is the fact that my roommate and I have now been confused for Italians and been asked directions three times. One time we were going for a run and two ladies on a Vespa asked us where something was, another time a guy walking down the street asked us how to get somewhere and another time this couple asked us where something was. The couple was the most interesting, because, as was also the case with the ladies on the Vespa, we're new here and don't know where too many things are. Thus, we didn't know where the place they were looking for was. The ladies on the Vespa were totally fine and said o.k., no problem, but the couple had a different reaction. The lady of the couple got so frustrated that we didn't know where the place was and even made this frustrated gesture. Not quite knowing what the crazy problem was, we simply said "mi dispiace" and continued walking.

So that was funny, but the cool thing was that we have definitely been mistaken for Italians that know where they're going and know where things are three times now! There's a certain type of awesome feeling that comes with experiences like that. :) It feels rewarding and makes you feel like you maybe do actually fit in a little bit.

Love and Style,
L.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment