Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Oh me, oh my, oh time.

I just had a funny experience. Time zone-wise, Italy is seven hours ahead of Southern Illinois and nine hours ahead of my school in Los Angeles. However, sometimes these numbers get jumbled in my head and very often I don't feel as if I'm very far away from the States at all. I feel like that's a really good thing, actually, because it doesn't make home feel like such a long distance. It does, however, sometimes mess with your brain.

I got an e-mail on my school e-mail account saying that I needed to renew my parking permit, otherwise I would receive a ticket. Thus, wanting to avoid a ticket at all costs, I thought to myself, "oh, well they're closed now for sure, but they probably have some sort of answering machine so I'll leave a message!" I dial the number, fully not prepared to talk with a person, and after two rings I hear "welcome center, this is ___." I probably sounded so silly because I had to take a five second pause to figure out what was going on! Did they extend their hours to have someone there during the night? Ohhhhh... then I realized. While it may be 1:50 a.m. here in Italy, it's not even 5:00 p.m. in California.

Time differences are so bizzare to me. It's so crazy to think that at pretty much any given moment, some people are waking up while others are going to bed; to think about how we, as humans, can overcome jet lag and adapt to a whole different time schedule. And really, the whole concept of time zones fascinates me in general - how they exist and where the dividers are. They sure can be confusing though! It makes things a bit challenging when you want to talk to family and friends, but it's so, so interesting.

It's late though, so now I'm off to bed. :)

Love and Style,
L.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment